Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

To every mom that follows this Blog, I say with great respect and admiration,

Happy Mother's Day!


To the moms raising children with Autism, to the moms that support those of us that are...

To the moms that knew better than to listen to an inexperienced doctor say the words, "Oh, he'll grow out of it."

To the moms that questioned God, "Why my child? Why Autism?"

To the moms that thank God everyday, for the slightest amount of progress...

To the moms that are still changing diapers ... for their 6 year old...

To the moms that have figured out what foods have gluten and casein in them...

To the moms that take the time to educate others on Autism...

To the moms that memorize lists of medications, vitamins and supplements...

To the moms that fight with insurance companies over covered services...

To the moms that climbed into a hyperbaric oxygen chamber to sit through a treatment with their frightened child...

To the moms that juggled schedules and endured 2 trips a day for 10 days, taking their child for Auditory Integration Training -- because the progress was worth every minute of it!

To the moms that go through horrendous morning rituals just to get their child on the school bus -- and to the moms that worry every time their child gets on the school bus...

To the moms that knew better than to take the school district's word for it, that this was the best their child could do...

To the moms who spend countless hours preparing for an IEP meeting, only to have their hopes and aspirations for the child trampled upon by a ruthless case manager...

To the moms that depleted their child's college savings account just to put their child through the 1st grade...

To the moms that stood bravely before the Board of Education to explain another unconscionable act by a school leader -- knowing full well the retaliation would be even worse...

To the moms that fight with school districts for some of the simplest things to help their child make progress...

To the moms that pay huge legal fees to have an attorney fight with the school district...

To the moms that wipe out their savings accounts and cancel family vacations to pay for needed treatments and therapies...

To a few select teachers (who are also moms) that are able to see the big picture...

To the moms that gave up their careers, their friends, their sense of self -- to devote themselves to their child with Autism...

To the moms that celebrate the simple things, like hearing your child say "I love you!"

To the moms that have moved mountains to make certain their child succeeds...

To the moms that play nurse, teacher, therapist and playmate...

To the moms that help other moms navigate their way through Autism...

To the moms that continue checking my blog, even though I haven't posted anything new for a while!

To the moms that called me to make sure that my son and I were OK -- we are and we are stronger because of YOU!

Thank you to all and Happy Mother's Day!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathi, to you! For giving everyone a way to connect, be informed and spread the word. There is a reason why people keep coming back. They learn things. They are able to find people who are listening and who understand the pains and frustrations.

Anonymous said...

Kathi,

You're a very Special Mom. Always thinking about everyone else, even though you have so much on your plate to deal with with your own child and autism. It can all be so overwhelming, and lonely at times, but you've found this very special way of keeping us all connected through this blog. Thank you for giving many of us parents and kids a voice.

Anonymous said...

Kathi,
What is going on? I am hearing rumors that the district is harassing you now. One person told me about it but said you didn't want this to be public. Then I heard stories from 3 others. Everybody seems to know something but what is really happening? Can you update us? Please let us know how we can help you and support you.
LS

Anonymous said...

Kathi,
If my son were normal, I wouldn't know so many wonderful moms just like you.
Yes, I still have to teach my son how to wipe himself eventhough he is 10 years old.
Yes, I haven't be able to go to a movie with my husband for 8 years
Yes, we haven't gone any way for our 11 years anniversary because we have to save money for a lawyer.
Yes, I still cry a lot everytime I think about :"what would happen?etc....."
Yes, I haven't be able to go to a SPA, having my Manicure or Pedicure done weekly, monthly like other moms. But, I Do wear a "Coach Bag" thought ( that's my treat for myself)
Yes, I haven't be able to go out to eat in a Restaurant or have a dinner date with my hubby for 10 years.
But all of that don't matter as long as my son gets a FAPE. ( & he is not getting it)
Any way, " LIFE IS NOT WAITING FOR A STORM TO PASS, BUT LEARN HOW TO DANCE IN THE RAIN."

Anonymous said...

Is everything ok Kathy? You have not posted in awhile.

Anonymous said...

Wow - someone else still checks for news! To anon above, everything is not okay. Cherry Hill School District is screwing with Kathi in unbelievable and unethical ways. Keep her in your prayers and hope that there is a remake of David killing Goliath in Cherry Hill's near future.