Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Thank You!

I have received so many thoughtful emails and other expressions of appreciation from readers of the Autism Blog, thanking me for my efforts, but I feel that it is my turn to thank all of you! It is YOUR continued support, participation in forums, comments on blogs and the many other ways that you have expressed your dedication to our children that will change the outcome for so many children in Cherry Hill and beyond!

From the frightened parents that could only leave anonymous comments on the Autism Blogs; to those that helped behind the scenes forwarding information -- you each deserve a very special thank you! I understand your need to remain anonymous, so I will not publish your names -- but you know who you are and I thank you for all that you have done!

To the many parents that helped reshape the Special Education PTA by getting out to vote for the new SEPTA Board last spring -- your efforts created the momentum that was needed in Cherry Hill. Many showed up with their children in tow, to exercise their right to vote. Together you sent a clear message to school administrators that the needs of our special education population were going to take center stage.

To the parents that volunteered to run for the CHSEPTA Board -- every one of you gave parents help and hope. From Sean McCormick, who was elected as CHSEPTA's President last spring, to Bob Bourbon who became the new President when Sean stepped down for personal reasons -- both of you led SEPTA to exciting new heights. Your leadership and devotion to special needs families has not gone unnoticed! Both Sean and Bob have helped me to realize that strength and diplomacy can move mountains. I thank you both for all that you have helped me with personally and I think every reader of this blog has been touched in some way by your commitment to our children!

To Naomi Weiss, who serves as CHSEPTA'a Vice President and has offered her support to many Cherry Hill families, you have been a source of strength and a role model for other parents. Outside of her role as CHSEPTA's Vice President, Naomi has also invested a great deal of her personal time and energy over the last two years to speak with state officials about our special education issues. I know Naomi is a very private person, who does not like being in the spotlight, but I am mentioning her name because I feel she deserves credit for all that she has done!

To Nancy Muldowney, who has served as CHSEPTA's Recording Secretary and has kept all of us in the loop on important issues impacting our children, I officially give you the title of St. Nancy, Angel of Children with Special Needs. Nancy has found time to be an active member of two School PTA's (Cooper and Barclay) while serving on the SEPTA Board, and raising two children, one of which has special needs. As if her commitment to our families was not great enough, she has attended nearly every Board of Education meeting and is now running for the Cherry Hill School Board!

To Deb Tremper who serves on the SEPTA Board as the Membership Coordinator. Deb has shared so much valuable insight with parents and is always willing to help families in our community. From late night emails to early morning phone calls, Deb has been there for parents throughout Cherry Hill.

To Kathleen Dallara-Pennell who somehow manages to attend more workshops, conferences, advocacy meetings and state hearings than any parent should have to endure -- thanks for representing Cherry Hill families at these important events. When Kathleen is not advocating for her own son, she devotes her time to helping families in Cherry Hill by researching information on critical issues. She has also made herself available to families in other districts and provided advocacy at their IEP meetings.

To Lisa Grams, the mother who boldly walked in to Russell Knight School and took pictures of a padded closet, also known as the "Quiet Room." Lisa knew she would face a great deal of scrutiny but still stood up for children in documenting a crime against them. Lisa paid quite a price for her efforts in protecting our children, as she and her son faced retaliatory actions as a result. She has guts and strength and I admire her commitment to our kids!

To Jill Kail, Cherry Hill's Ombudsman for the Disabled, who stood up and volunteered her expertise to any parent that needed to clarify the legalities in special education law. Jill has been there for just about every Cherry Hill family that I have spoken with and has always gone above and beyond to help those in need. It is a comfort to know that our township has such a dedicated person to assist families.

To Stuart Chaifetz, who is a single father raising a child with autism but still manages to attend Board of Education meetings so that he may advocate for all of our special needs children. Stu formed the Special Education Alliance last year to bring families of special needs children together. He has been there for some really difficult battles and continues to fight for every child in our school district. Stu has met with state leaders and even took the time to testify before the State House on important issues that impact our children. Stu is also running for the Board of Education this year so that he may assist ALL Cherry Hill families in obtaining the best education possible for their children. His commitment to our families goes far beyond special needs. He is an advocate for all taxpayers in Cherry Hill.

To Christy Carlson and Debbie Schmidt who formed the non-profit organization, Just 2 Moms. They are much more than just two moms! Together these two women, who are both raising children with autism, have taken autism awareness to a whole new level. Their Assembly program has enlightened children, educators and families about the challenges that our children face in school, at home and in the community. They have found some of the most creative ways to bring hope and help to our families dealing with autism. These are two amazing woman that I am proud to call my friends!

To every person that helped to raise the Red Flag on special education issues in Cherry Hill over the last two years -- it truly took a village to bring the Monitoring Process to our district and we need to keep this "village" united to realize a successful outcome!

To every parent that took part in the Self-Assessment/ Monitoring Process meeting at Cherry Hill High School West on March 31, 2008. Although I do not have all of the names, you are welcome to add them as a response to this blog! I was so proud to be part of a group that found a way to overcome some significant hurdles and focus on the needs of our children. From the parents that voiced their concerns and shared their individual complaints and the parents that voiced the more global concerns impacting families that were not able to participate, to the parents that had complimentary things to convey about special education -- it is our combined efforts that will bring about the changes necessary. I was so pleased to be part of a focus group, even one with conflicting opinions, that realized how important these issues are for our most vulnerable children. I look forward to serving on the Steering Committee with many of you!

I was especially touched by the young man and his proud mother, that stood up at the Self-Assessment meeting to express their gratitude for the special education services that he received in prior years. I literally had goosebumps as I listened to his kind words and expression of gratitude! Thank you for helping us all focus on the most important piece of this puzzle -- the outcome for our children. This young man is a reflection of what Special Education should be for ALL of our children. It seems that our former Special Education Director, Charlie Lange, should also be commended for working with this family to help this young man become a productive member of society.

I can only give initials for this note of appreciation, but I have to say thank you to RT for sending me the Bizarro (Superman) action figure! It has taken it's place of prominence on the shelf in my office! The Bizarro World was the focus of a previous blog which may be viewed by clicking here. Thanks RT for following my slightly twisted sense of humor, dashed with a note of sarcasm -- not everyone gets that!

If you know of someone that I have overlooked, please email me at kathimagee@verizon.net. I think it is important to recognize every person that has played a role in helping our children.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

and we thank you! You have played a much bigger role in helping Cherry Hill's kids than you take credit for.

Anonymous said...

Kathy,
It is so kind of you to recognize others. I loved your article It Takes A Village!

Love the new blog layout too! The CP blogs are difficult to access.

Anonymous said...

Hey I was wondering what was happening with you. I didn't see any recent blogs but I did see your story about that boy and his mom with an OCR complaint. Glad to see you are still writing.

My husband and I were checking your blog daily. He loved Bizzarro Cherry Hill too! Can't wait to read your book!
Julie

Anonymous said...

A little too much diplomacy on the takes a village story. Sorry, just my opinion. I don't trust anyone in administration to get this self assessment right. Glad to hear you are going to be on the steering commitee.

Anonymous said...

I dont mean to take away from your story on this but that kid and mom that stood up and spoke Monday night painted a different picture than reality. It wasn't so rosey! His mom sued the district to get his needs met. Sure she is thankful now -- thankful that she won her lawsuit! I have been around these parts for many years and it was bad back then and is even worse now.

You have a good perspective on the situations in CH but don't be fooled by the sudden togetherness. It's a front for ill intentions.

Anonymous said...

I hope you are here for a good long time. You can turn this school district upside down with your determination. I think they breathed a sigh of relief when you opted not to run for school board. I don't have kids getting special ed services but I would have voted for you and I know a bunch of others that would have too. I am liking Muldowney and Chaifetz and their enough is enough approach. The Klookov gang just isn't doing it for me. They are more of the same.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Kathi
Your writing is always wonderful because it holds the truth. We need more truth, courage and honesty in our town.
This year's election brings us an opportunity to support candidates, Nancy and Stu because they bring the needed fresh air of truth to the BOE.
Our children are growing before our eyes. Education is time specific. Just how many times do we need to gather facts before we can honestly roll up our sleeves and begin to work fixing the obvious wrongs?
We need board members who are not bought, who don't think parents speaking at BOE meetings are telling "stories", we need people who are willing to ask the tough questions of this administration, and be the voice of reason for all people in this town.

I am honored to serve the many dedicated, caring and well informed parents and teachers. I have had many sleepless nights worrying about disabled children made to suffer needlessly in Cherry Hill, NJ.
With God's help, we will never repeat the mistakes again. We must continue to speak out and hold people accountable for their actions and misdeeds.

manxkats said...

aww, shucks Kathi, I want to thank you for bringing our words to so many people. My son and I are doing just fine, actually we are doing great! I am still very happy with my choice to Home School him. I can't wait for you to see him again.

Your blog tells the truth, from the hard working teachers to the faulty administration and all the people that care to know the truth can read it here. You are doing a excellent service for us all, we thank you!!

Anonymous said...

Was that a BOE member that made the comment above:
"I am honored to serve the many dedicated, caring and well informed parents and teachers. I have had many sleepless nights worrying about disabled children made to suffer needlessly in Cherry Hill"

Anonymous said...

It is really nice that you've taken the time to appreciate all of these members of the community.

I am disapointed however, that even though the CHSEPTA is a Parent-Teacher Association, there does not seem to be any involvement to make improvements from any teachers or staff - I wonder what story that tells? Do they fear retaliation? Or are they satisfied with the Special Ed situation is in Cherry Hill?

And like elderman said, there has always been problems, and many of the "grandfathered" programs stemed from the fact that families with money hired lawyers to fight their battles and won. The rest of us, mostly West side families, were not so lucky to get those programs for our kids. The new administration was originally hired to equalize things, but instead, they screwed it up for everybody (at least 95% of us).

Anonymous said...

I hope you don't mind me thanking some teachers too - they can't be involved in the discussion I am sure but I truly feel they deserve praise, and those are the teachers and staff at Rosa Middle School who work with the kids in CAPSS, who dispite the cuts in aides and lack of a proper child study team or resource room in the building have gone above and beyond making sure that Special Needs kids LEARN and participate in the community, and to TOP IT OFF, they make us, the PARENTS of Special Needs Children feel as if we are the GREATEST PARENTS, no matter what. They are incredible people.

Anonymous said...

No, I don't mind you thanking teachers! In fact there are many that I would love to thank by name, but I have to protect their identities.

While we are thanking the staff at ROSA, their principal should be added to the list. I understand he is one of the best and has shown true compassion for at least one family that emailed me personally.

Anonymous said...

Yes you are right, I am sorry to have ommited him, because it is with him that it all begins. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Kathi

How would you feel about starting a campaign that allows the parents of Special Needs Children to nominate Special Teachers, Staff or Principals who go above and beyond to help Sped Kids? Perhaps giving them a Honorary Certificate? I think that would put a new spin on things. And maybe the "Crazy Parents" perception will diapear?

Maybe this can be done through CHSEPTA and the Courrier Post? Maybe that would encourage more of them to step up to the plate for our kids - after all everyone enjoys a little positive reinforcement :)

Anonymous said...

I am a teacher and I just read this thank you list and the responses. How thoughtful of everyone!