Thursday, April 10, 2008

Politics or Politricks?

Perhaps I have been a bit naive in my thinking that when people run for the local school board it simply comes down to voters weighing their options and voting their conscience. I guess I thought that dirty tricks in politics were something that primarily occurred in big elections, like the Presidential election. It appears we have our own little dirty tricks that play out in Cherry Hill.

I recently learned that the Cherry Hill Committee for All Children, who is sponsoring the Klukoff, Roth, Goodwin party; has some interesting supporters that are members of our current board of education. I will talk more about that in a follow up blog posting, but I had an opportunity to read this letter from Stuart Chaifetz and I thought it may be of interest to blog readers (see below). It certainly shows the games that are played by the CHCC.
Kathi Magee


Dear Friends,

When I ran for the Board of Education last year, I was unaware of the political dirty tricks that seem to be part and parcel of elections in our town. Though I experienced what I consider to be very heinous dirty tricks at the very start of my campaign last year (we can discuss this later if you desire), it was the slate of Kirk, Arnold and Carapellucci that took the brunt of the attack, which came from supporters of the Cherry Hill Committee for All Children (CHCC).

For those not aware, the CHCC is the fundraising committee that supported and funded the campaigns of BOE members Hartmann, Robbins, Conn and Giaccio, as well as our opponents in this election. I had hoped that this year things would be different, but I was wrong.

Their first attack came at a most unexpected event; the monitoring hearing for Special Education. This was not a political event in any manner, but a forum for parents of special needs children, of which I am one of, to talk about the serious problems with special education in our schools. And when I began to speak about my son, supporters of the CHCC began to jeer and taunt me. It was, in my opinion, a disgraceful act, but it wasn't the last.

If you saw the debate (which is running every night on channel 19 at 7 pm) then you will get an idea of what I am talking about. Even though one of my opponents had the opportunity to challenge or attack me during the hour and a half debate, he waited until after I had given my closing, and was unable to respond, and then attacked. At first I thought "what a dirty trick," but when I realized that I had just said that the supporters of our opponents mock people they don't agree with, and then he not only mocked me, but the CHCC supporters joined in with clapping, I saw that he had proven the point that I was trying to make.

Two days ago, my running mate, Nancy Muldowney, received the following email from one of the major supporters of the CHCC:

Nancy,
We have received calls from property owners that Muldowney/Chaifetz signs have been placed on property where there is a Klukoff/Goodwin/Roth sign without expressed permission from the property owner. When placing a sign on private property, you must have expressed permission from the property owner.

Because a Klukoff/ Goodwin/ Roth sign exists on a property does not mean that a Muldowney/Chaifetz sign can be placed next to it without expressed permission. For example, the Muldowney/Chaifetz signs on the corners of [location deleted], as well as your sign on [location deleted], were not authorized.

I suggest you have these and any other unauthorized signs removed to avoid any inevitable citations or fines.
Thank you.
Colleen


Imagine receiving such an email, one that implies a threat of legal action, and how it would make you feel. Nancy did two things: She checked with the property owners and she forwarded me the email that Colleen had sent her. (My response to this person is at the end of this letter.)

I made a promise to myself before the election that, if we were attacked by the CHCC, that I would respond publicly and forcefully, and expose what had happened to the people of our town. This is why I spoke about this at the debate, and why I am writing to you now.

If you are tired of these dirty tricks, and the domination of us all by a few select people, then send a strong message and use your vote on April 15th to say 'enough'.

Sincerely,
Stuart Chaifetz

PS: Here's another tidbit you should know: the CHCC wanted Nancy to run on their slate this year, but she turned them down. No matter what happens on election day, I am honored to have been on the same ticket with Nancy Muldowney.

The following is what I sent back to the representative of the CHCC:

Dear Colleen,
Thank you for your note about our campaign signs.

Nancy spoke to some of the property owners you mentioned and made the following
remarkable discoveries:

1. [location deleted]. When Nancy asked [name deleted] that owns the property about putting up the signs, he said, "no-nothing political." She then said, "Are you aware that there is already a political sign(Klukoff/Roth/Goodwin) out there?" He said, "There is? Well than put yours right next to theirs."

So, we've secured permission for that area, while, apparently, you did not. Have no
fear; I will not report you to the police, so you won't be subject to any inevitable citations or fines.

2. Nancy spoke with someone from [location deleted] who was not sure if the area that you referred to was their property. They said that if it is their property,
nobody is permitted to put up political signs.

If the area in question is a development, then that development cannot chose to have one sign or the other, it has to be both or none at all. I hope this clears this up for you. I will let you know if you need to remove your sign from that area when we hear back from them.

Rest assured that if any of our supporters accidentally puts up a campaign sign on private property, where it should not be, then we will remove it immediately. Just supply us with an exact address and I will personally rectify the situation within hours. Here's my cell phone so you can contact me with no delay: [cell # deleted]

I should also tell you that since the debate we've had an enormous request for signs for private property. These are people who join with us in wanting a democratic board free from the influence of one particular committee. I would hope that if any of your supporters were to place one of your signs on these parcels of land, that you would remove them with the same speed and efficiency that I offer.

I have to wonder if the complaints you have received are actually people pranking you. You see, there are supporters of our opposition who harass people (the monitoring hearing is a good example), and with their vague expressions of wrongdoing, what they told you gives me the same feel. Unless they supply you with specifics, I would ignore them.

Sincerely,
Stuart Chaifetz

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it obvious they made that up? If those property owners were upset about a sign would they not have contacted Cherry Hill Unity, to have them removed? the Website is right on the sign? - It's just a bunch of BS - I heard the people mocking at the forum - they have no character.

Anonymous said...

Kathi,
Being a kind & honest person as you are it is normal to assume that everyone plays fair. It does make you naive! You hold yourself to higher standards and expect that of others. This is one of the many reasons that I admire you.

Please do not forget that "dirty tricks" are played by dirty people! The CHCC is headed by dirty people and it goes to follow that dirty people (a few current BOE members) support them.

Best of luck to Nancy and Stuart! They should do well because of their honesty and integrity.
Jack

Anonymous said...

Kathi's Readers',

Thank you for keeping yourselves informed. I just want to ask that if you support Cherry Hill Unity, please keep your comments dignified.

Thanks,
Nancy

PS- someone asked about by views on out-of district placements on the last topic. I replied this morning but do not see it out there. It was a lengthy reply. I want to see if it appears before I set out to redo it. Sorry for the delay. Check back periodically on the last topic. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

If I found a political sign on my property that I didn't approve of being put there, I'd just remove it. I wouldn't leave it there and complain about it to their competition. This isn't a bad, whiny "Seinfeld" episode. It's time Stu's and Nancy's competition cuts the drama and start acting like adults. We've seen this before, making an issue out of a non-issue, or WMD (Weapons of Mass Distraction). When you don't want to win an election by addressing the issues, this unfortunately becomes a somewhat successful tactic. Unless you stop it in the tracks at the beginning, and bring them back to the issues they are avoiding. This district uses this tactic alot from the Admin to the BOE. Magicians use this all the time, why do you think they had a beautiful, barely dressed assistant to distract you while they put the coin in their pocket, it's the art of deception/distraction.
Reveal their WMDs and move back to the real issues, and then you'll control the situation, not them. Good luck Stu & Nancy.

manxkats said...

I proudly have a Stu and Nancy sign on my lawn! You better believe I can't wait for Tuesday to vote for two Nancy and Stu. I want someone on the BOE that actually cares more about the Children in our town than politics. It is a sure sign that the CHCC is worried that CHU will win or why bother with dirty tricks. I loved the comment dirty tricks are played by dirty people, is that who you want watching out for your children? I do not, I want parents who have struggled as I have within this district on the BOE.

Anonymous said...

As a long time involved parent who has weathered many BOE elections, some where my candidates won and more recently when they lost, I am here to tell you to vote for the 2 candidates only.

Also, as I attend many BOE meetings I can say with confidence that Goodwin and Klukoff were never there until recently and Roth attended many meetings while fighting for his issue: IB in our schools as he had a child in IB at West and has one at Rosa. While he was in the midst of his fight for IB he often spoke at the mike, was often loud and beligerant and when in the audience often poked fun at those who opposed his view.

Left on Vote for Two 2, Nancy and Stu! Blog: April 10, 2008 6:42 PM

Anonymous said...

I will try to be respectful of others and not insult anyone here, but I have to say this- this board of ed election is very typical of Cherry Hill. I do not live in your town, but I happen to know most of the players and I am an avid reader of the blog formerly known as On Autism.

You have a group that the current BOE members want to see elected because they are very much in-tune with their ways. Your administrators will also benefit by having this team of Klukoff, Roth and Goodwin because they will defend your administrators. What do you get out of it? More of the same.

It does not appear that the team of Muldowney and Chaifetz are going to allow much nonsense to take place if they are elected. They seem to be brave enough to stand up and question administration and smart enough to steer clear of the typical political games. If I lived in Cherry Hill, they would certainly have won my vote.

I am inclined to think that voting for those 2 candidates ONLY, would yield a greater chance of seeing one or both of them elected.


Kathi, I am glad to have found your blog again!

Best of luck to all on Tuesday!

Anonymous said...

Good Luck Stu and Nancy. You have our vote! Who can I call to get a sign for my lawn? I also think Klukoff should not be allowed to run. He sits on the board at the Cherry Hill Education Foundation. That is a huge conflict of interest. People need to know this.

I will only vote for two, Nancy and Stu, and write a name in to take away from the other three.

Did anyone catch Goodwin's looks of contempt every time Stu talked during Meet the Candidates? Imagine this was you, voicing concern to the board, is this the look you want?

Anonymous said...

Got my sample ballot in the mail. They phrased the budget question a little odd! Who writes this stuff anyway?

I saw that we can do write in votes via the keyboard. You know what I'm doing!

Best of Luck Stu and Nancy (and Kathi)!!!

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Magee,
I hope you do not mind if I use your blog for this purpose. I am aware that many teachers and assistants read your blog and I thought this would get the word out quickly.

I was involved in a meeting today where we were told (those of us that live & teach in CH) that it was imperative that we vote YES for this budget or many of us may not have jobs to return to. It was not said as a "threat" but presented as a "concern." Either way, it was hard-nosed politics that I will not play!

I have spoken with friends within district that have been told something very similar.

We are a captive audience at these types of meetings and I think it is unprofessional and unfair to put a teacher/resident in this position.

I plan to vote NO for the budget. I am also supporting Mrs. Muldowney and Mr. Chaifetz for the board.

Signed, A Teacher that is devoted to students and not administration!

Anonymous said...

I too, had to endure a similar meeting! I am not a teacher but I do work for the district and live in Cherry Hill. I was also encouraged (rather strongly) to be at Monday's night's meeting to support our schools. While I do support the teaching staff and was upset that their salaries may have been questioned by the mayor I am more upset that the salaries of adminitrators were NOT questioned!

Mrs. Einhorn, the President of the Board of Education has been very forcefully pushing her position to divide our district. I am upset with the way this board has covered for these administrators at the cost of taxpayers. This administration leaves the rest of us out to dry and I will not take this anymore! I will be voting "no" for the budget too, and I will cast a vote for Stuart and Nancy.

Thank you for being the change we need.

Anonymous said...

Yes I too was the subject of such a meeting. Admin called all Principals to Malberg Monday for an emergency meeting. How dare they "bully" staff into voting yes.

I hope that teachers, community members, parents, any and all, vote no. Our students will still have a great education, our town will still be great, probably better.

When you are out voting no, don't forget to vote for Stu and Nancy.

That will be the winning ticket!

Anonymous said...

Parents:
Rest assurred, we will still provide a great education to your children even if the budget is not passed. In addition to being taxpayers in this town, we are teachers that care about your children.

PS- thanks for supporting us, as well!

Anonymous said...

To all teachers and staff members:

Never forget that you are the "meat and potatoes" of this district -- not administration, not the BOE.

The very man (as I use that term loosely) who came on strong in the beginning by apparently falsely empowering our teachers, et al. has turned the tale many times in many ways: failing to provide an appropriate atmosphere to create a fair and reasonable contract, respect to our children and families with special education and regular education students--ALL STUDENTS, now is purposefully strongarming with the help of the "majority" of the BOE to inasmuch as threaten CHPS teachers and staff. U-N-A-C-C-E-P-T-A-B-L-E !!!!!

Check CHPS BOE Policy 2224 on the district website. You all have rights as our children and families also are supposed to have rights.

Let's stand together supporting each other!

I also stand behind Stu and Nancy as they are our only hope for any kind of positive future for the Cherry Hill School District and the Township of Cherry Hill.

Anonymous said...

Teachers and Ed Assistants,

Who spoke at these meetings that you had to endure?

Anonymous said...

At our building the Principal was the deliver of Malberg's Admin message.

Anonymous said...

Principal told us too.

Anonymous said...

Important: When you make your decisions on election day, please refer to this as to what the role of a BOE member is written to be:

BOARD OF EDUCATION
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
POLICY 9000
ROLE OF THE BOARD

The name of this organization shall be The Board of Education of the Township of Cherry Hill in the County of Camden, hereinafter called the “Board.” The general mandatory powers and duties of the board are defined in Title 18A of New Jersey statutes. Other sections of the statutes state or imply that a local board of education has full power to operate the local public schools as it deems fit in compliance with state and federal mandates and pertinent laws of the municipality. The board functions only when in session.

The board of education sees these as its required functions.

A. Policy oversight
The board is responsible for the development of policy and for the employment of a chief school administrator who shall carry out its policies through the development and implementation of regulations. The board is responsible for evaluating the effectiveness of its policies and their implementation. This includes setting and evaluating goals in educational and financial areas.

B. Educational planning
The board is responsible for requiring and acquiring reliable information from responsible sources which will enable it and the staff to work toward the continuing improvement of the educational program.

C. Provision of financial resources
The board has major responsibilities for the adoption of a budget which will provide the wherewithal – in terms of buildings, staff, materials, and equipment – to enable the school system to carry out its functions.

D. Interpretation
The board is responsible for providing adequate and direct means for keeping the local community informed about the school and for keeping itself and the school staff informed about the wishes of the public. All planning, both that which is and that which is not related to the budget, needs to be interpreted to the public if citizens are to support the school program.

The board believes that, by diligently exercising these functions, it will be able to provide, within the financial limitations set by the community, the best educational opportunities possible for our children.

The board shall exercise its powers through the legislation of bylaws and policies for the organizations and operation of the school district.

The board shall be responsible for the operations of the school but shall delegate the administration to the chief school administrator, who shall be appointed by a recorded roll-call majority vote of the full board.

The board may hear appeals in complaints and in grievance and disciplinary actions as defined in these policies and in the law.

*******

Only two of our departing Board members have completely upheld this Policy -- Mrs. Badaracco and Mrs. O'Dowd.

Stu and Nancy are our only hope to have open minds for ALL OF CHERRY HILL -- our children and our residents and taxpayers.

Remember, the staunch increases in our taxes from both municipal and school district planning have decreased every taxpayer's ability to have money available for the needs of their children, homes, lack of incomes, etc. Many families have been so inundated by tax burden that they cannot afford much else. Don't let a smaller number of people dictate "what the market will bear" here in Cherry Hill.

Anonymous said...

The school election sample ballot just came in today's mail.

Constantine Cheston is still listed on the ballot though it was announced that he was not participating in the election at the Candidates' Forum.

Just a thought -- rather than cast two votes only for BOE, also vote for Constantine Cheston so as to not divert more votes cast for Klukoff-Roth-Goodwin.

Perhaps we will learn more if the machines say something different on election day but it definitely couldn't hurt. "A vote for Cheston is better than another vote for K-R-G".....

Anonymous said...

As listed on MSN.com webpage as "FIVE SURPRISING SALARIES":

Elementary school principals

What they do:
Elementary school principals ensure that students are meeting education requirements by communicating with other administrators, evaluating teachers, monitoring the curriculum and interacting with parents on a regular basis.

Surprising salary: $79,310.

Careers in education, particularly those not at the college level, are notorious for being underpaid. Principals, however, earn significantly higher salaries than you might expect, sometimes as much as 40 percent more than an elementary schoolteacher.

Most of our principals make in excess of $100,000.....think about it......yet the teachers get the flack all the time....

Anonymous said...

I don't know if the other two responders are from my school -- but it was our principal who told us how to vote, too! Maybe this was the demand they were given at last Monday's meeting at Malberg?

I shook my head like a good little puppy but I'll vote for the best candidates on Tuesday, Nancy and Stuart! I will most likely vote no for this budget, too.

Anonymous said...

Instead of threatening teachers and threatening to do away with services to our kids, why not take away from our OVER PAID administrators?!! Imagine what our budget would look like then. I heard some schools aren't even allowed to order paper for their copy machines right now! It's time to say enough is enough! I am voting NO to the budget and Nancy and Stu have my votes too!