Sunday, April 6, 2008

Those Crazy Special Ed Parents!

I love the way our school administrators try to play us off! Since our children have special needs we are automatically assumed to be insane for trying to make the school district comply with special education laws. When my son was 3, before autism invaded our lives, I was viewed as a typical parent. I would assume that was because I was raising a "typical" child.

My son was a beautiful little boy that was always happy and silly. He loved to make people smile! I could take him to any restaurant and he was always the most well behaved child there. He had great manners and even ate his veggies! I was able to work from home so we spent a great deal of time together. Life was wonderful and I was a "typical mom" enjoying every minute of it!

Realizing that a good education was one of the most important things we could give a child, I enrolled my son in pre-school at the age of three. Although he seemed pretty bright, I wanted him to have that social piece in place by Kindergarten. He made friends and even enjoyed playdates with his little pre-school buddies. My son was off to a good start in life, and then suddenly -- boom -- all hell broke loose!

At the age of three and a half, my son began to develop sensory integration issues. He could no longer play in the sandbox and could not walk barefoot in the grass. His pre-school teacher noticed that he would hold his hands over his ears when the children sang together. If the fire alarm sounded, he quickly went under a desk and screamed uncontrollably. He stopped eating many of the fruits and veggies that he once loved. The texture of certain foods became intolerable. By four, I was dealing with a child that was losing skills on a regular basis. His social skills began to regress, he developed irrational fears and his behavior suddenly turned wretched!

My first thought was, I must be doing something wrong. I immediately consulted the parenting books, only to learn that I wasn't such a horrible parent and I had apparently been doing everything right. I spoke with our family doctor and consulted with a child therapist. Eventually, we took my son for a neurological consult. After five grueling hours with a neuro team, I heard the first mention of the word "autism" to describe my son.

The word didn't shock me, mainly because I thought the neuropsychologist that mentioned this word was off his rocker! Don't get me wrong, I liked this doctor. He seemed intelligent, was well respected in his field and certainly had an ability to connect with children; but if he thought my son had autism -- well, he was just wrong! (or so I thought.)

Yes, my son was losing skills, both social and communication. He was becoming obsessed with airplanes and had memorized the flight patterns over our home. He stopped "playing" with his toys and instead began lining them up in a particular order. He was displaying sensory dysfunction. He flaked out over the sound of a lawn mower, a blow dryer and even the vacuum cleaner. He was unable to eat the foods he once loved due to texture, temperature and taste issues. His bath suddenly had to be a certain temperature (I actually had to buy a tub thermometer!) He could not wear many of the clothes he had because the material bothered his skin or the tags were too annoying. OK, maybe he was becoming a picky child, but he was not an autistic child!

Yes, my son would sit for hours staring at the wall or twirling an object and yes, he was retreating into his own little world. Sometimes I would call his name 6 or 8 times without getting any response at all. He began focusing on odd things like doorstops and light switches. He repeated TV commercials verbatim and could have an entire conversation with you using only lines from movies. He may be a little odd, but still he was not an autistic child!

Yes, he suddenly could not grasp emotions. He did not seem to recognize or care about the feelings of others. Even his own feelings were unrecognizable to him. All negative feelings (sadness, disappointment, fear) were being displayed as anger. That anger would eventually erupt into a violent rage! His behavior had taken a sharp turn for the worse, but still he was not an autistic child!

I think when I heard the word "autism" I believed it meant some form of mental retardation. I knew my son was intelligent -- he had an extensive vocabulary and was already able to add and subtract whole numbers. He had hit every developmental milestone on time. He couldn't possibly have autism!

I went through his baby book and health records and saw no signs of developmental issues. I viewed video tapes of him playing, laughing and smiling. I began looking at pictures from the time he was a baby until he hit the fun toddler stage. Then I realized something -- his eyes were not the same. He had this blank or distant stare in the more recent photos. That spark was gone!

But "autism" -- no way! My son could not possibly have autism! It wasn't until I began researching autism, which was primarily to prove this doctor wrong -- that I realized my son had an autistic disorder. I began going down the list and realized that my son was displaying every feature of the disorder.

My son was not the same child he was before. Something inside of him had changed. But I was still the same parent. I was a very typical mom, dealing with an atypical child.

To all of you who think we are "crazy parents" -- it's funny how we weren't viewed as such when we were raising "normal" children. It's funny how as soon as our child required something more from the school district, like access to support services or maybe a little therapy -- we were suddenly "crazy parents."

It's funny how when our children did not receive the services that you were legally required to provide and we had to become stronger advocates for our kids, that we were now labeled as "red light parents." What's really sad is that when a child with a neurological disorder has a need that is not being met, it is usually displayed in their behavior. It is at that point that our children get labeled as "bad kids" and we are labeled as moms and dads with "poor parenting skills!"

I will no longer sit back and take this abuse from school administrators. If you want to believe I am crazy because I want my child to make some measurable progress -- so be it. If you want to believe I am crazy because I expect you to follow the law -- so be it. If you want to believe I am crazy because I have no problem speaking out about the way parents and children are made to suffer in this school district -- so be it.

In my opinion anyone that does not believe that I will stand up and fight back -- is crazy!
I am on my feet and the boxing gloves are well secured!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kathi,
I would never refer to you as a "crazy" parent. You are one of the strongest advocates for children in our school district. It makes me sad that anyone would refer to you or any other parent in this way.

I am a teacher in an elementary school (CH) and I have learned a great deal about autism from you. I am pleased to have met you and appreciative of your efforts.

Your son is so lucky to have a mom that stands up for him and we are lucky to have you as a parent in our school district. I think you would be surprised at the number of teachers and staff that support your efforts. I will forward your new blog address to others.

I sign this as "anonymous" but you know me.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for emailing your new blog to me and thanks for sharing this with the public.

My boxing gloves are on, too!

Anonymous said...

Its funny you should post this today. I had the displeasure of listening to two women in the back of the room on the day of the Candidates Forum gigling and laughing when words were spoken by the candidates, regarding what is happening to Special Education. "Those Crazy Special Ed Parents"

One of the rights of a citizen of this Country is Freedom to express yourself.

Some of the responsibilities of the citizens of this country are:
stay informed of the issues affecting your community, participate in the democratic process, respect and obey Federal, State, and Local Laws, participate in your community and Respect the rights, beliefs and opinions of others.

It is those rights and responsibilities that you Kathi, the other people on your thank you list, and many other countless parents of Special Needs children are trying to uphold. It's disgraceful that some people live so out of the TRUE REALITY, that they would be so cold and characterless to make fun and disrespect you. They don't belong in our AMERICAN society.

Anonymous said...

To Anon above,
The parents that were claimed we are the crazy Spec Ed parents, are these the same people that were screaming and yelling when the district proposed canceling Mt Misery?But we are the crazy ones because we want our children's rights under state and federal guidelines? We want our kids just to get an appropriate education?

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean, my son was "perfect" until about 3 1/2 and then it's like there was a switch, that was turned off and I lost my precious so happy little boy. He was never the same again. We stopped getting those precious hugs. And he's regressed a little more every year into Autism. Most people hear about the 18 to 24 month change, but some of the children are changing even later into toddlerhood. My second cousin's daughter stopped speaking at the age of 7. This is so devastating to us.

Anonymous said...

I am not sure what the "anon" comment meant on Mt. Misery, but my Aspeger's child did go to Mt. Misery and because of his SUPER Teachers and Assistants and School Staff at Rosa International CAPSS, his experience was an incredible success. Most of the expenses are paid for by the parents and PTA, so I'm not sure how much of the trip actually affects the budget, but if I was to advise younger families, I would definetly not let it be cancelled EVER, instead, I would fight to make sure my child could attend, and that his needs were met when he/she was there. Did you ever hear of outdoor/wilderness therapy? that is what it was like for my son.

Anonymous said...

I didn't take it that the above person was attacking Mt. Misery or the parents that advocated strongly to keep it. I think the point was or at least what I got from that meesage was -- that typical parents advocated strongly for something and they were not referred to as a bunch of crazy parents. When we advocate for our special ed kids --we are referred to as crazy.

Either way I agree with you that Mt Misery was a great experience for my Aspie child!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely was not attacking the Mt Misery trip. I think it's a wonderful experience for all children. I just did not consider those parents crazy for fighting for their children's rights to be able to experience that trip. I just get angry when I'm considered crazy for trying to get my son an appropriate education.

Anonymous said...

I didn't think you were attacking it either, I just didn't really understand your question, but now it makes sense. The reason why I defended Mt. Misery was because I wanted other younger parents to know that it is a wonderful experience, no matter what the disability, and give them the heads up, that they may need to fight to have the services they need taken with their child for that week. With the way this administration thinks, they will find a way to say that it is no longer their responsibility to make sure autistic children can attend. They will find a loophole somewhere.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you brought that up. Speaking of loopholes, I think this is what the district is doing this year, and I hope I am seriously wrong. Last year the district tried to put one over on us using the word assistance vs. assistant. I think this year they will try to phrase the goals as being school based. Read your goals thoroughly. I think this may be an effort to phase out our home programs. Hopefully I am way off base. I guess it may just be lack of trust?

Anonymous said...

Kathi,
I am so proud of you for standing up and fighting for your child. That you devote so much energy into all of the children with special needs leaves me in awe of you. You take so much abuse for doing this and still you stand strong and keep up the fight.

I always assumed your son was on the autistic spectrum since birth. You have been on both sides of this raising a typical child and then having him develop autism. Maybe that is why you get it. You are an inspiration to so many and I just love you and thank you!
Theresa R

Anonymous said...

Well you summed up my experience also! My child was typical until 3 years old. It probably started just before that but by 3 he had autism.

I also get the feeling that they think I am nuts. I am nutty about my kid getting his education but I am not a crazy person.

My son is verbal but not so much in school. They don't seem to believe me. I know he can learn and grow and make progress -- if only they would focus on his real needs.

I look at your blog and worry because I know what lies ahead for us. Sometimes I read your blog and think (and pray) that your efforts will change things. Maybe that will make our road easier.

Please don't stop writing no matter how bad it gets. It does give us a voice and helps us newbies!

Anonymous said...

Yes, I've watched my daughter regress from a happy carefree child to one who is defensive and sad. Autism deteriorates the child, but so does the bullying in school from the children and the teachers that don't recognize the child doesn't realize that they are acting inappropriately. Don't ever stop fighting for your child. As "crazy parents" we can make a difference. As always Kathi, thanks for posting this blog.

Anonymous said...

Kathi,
I too am an employee of C.H, I follow your blog and have learned more from you then any training session has offered. I do not consider you "crazy". I think you are a great mom who just wants the best for your child!!(and others' as well) Keep up the great work and gloves on tight!!
So glad to see you back up and blogging. We missed you.

Anonymous said...

Kathi,
If you are serious about boxing then you you have to state your weight. Are you ready for that. Remember the announcer states which corner your in, the color of your clothes, your weight, and name, or nickname. In this corner wearing love truth and advocacy, weighing in at 110 pounds, "Krazi Kathi" Magee.
And in the other corner, wearing deception and lies, weighing in at 250 pounds, "Dizzy Izzy" Franklin.

This may seem a little far fetched but so does a F.A.P.E. in this district.

Anonymous said...

Kathi,
I will be voting for Nancy and Stuart for many reasons. I know we get to pick 3 but I really do not like the other 3 candidates. They give vague answers on issues that are important to my family and I feel like they are already "protective" of our corrupt administrators.

Is there one of the others that you like? I hate to just waste a vote.

Anonymous said...

To the person above with a voting question,
Do a write in vote for Kathi Magee, that's what I am doing!
LR

Anonymous said...

OMG, that is a great idea! I was just going to vote for the 2 (Muldowney and Chafetz).

Kathi do you mind if we write in your name? It sends a message!

That comment about Krazi Kathi and dizzy izzy was so funny! Do we have a cartoonist that follows this blog. That would make a funny cartoon!

Anonymous said...

Is it Katherine or Kathleen or just Kathi Magee? Yes, I am writing in her name. Thanks for the great idea!

Anonymous said...

I honestly do not know what to tell you in terms of a 3rd candidate. This is a difficult choice for me too. I tried to find a reason to vote for one of the other three but couldn't. I figured I would vote for two, Nancy and Stu (hey that rhymes!)

By NOT casting a vote for any of the oppossing candidates -- makes it easier for Stu and Nancy to win. Remember it is the total votes for each candidate that gets a person elected. So if you just pick one of the other 3 at random, you are helping the oppossing slate by adding to one of their total vote counts.

The write in vote idea may be a good choice because it takes a vote away from one of the oppossing candidates. You DO NOT have to put my name! You could put your own or anyone's name.

Anonymous said...

Kathi,
If we can write in a third name on the ballot I am gonna write yours. Read some of the comments again and you will see how much you are appreciated and loved by families and teachers in Cherry Hill. The only people that don't like you are the administrators in our school and that is because they feel threatened by your honesty and integrity. Teachers love you because you always stand up for them. I bet there are some boe members that would view your integrity like a breath of fresh air.

I know you chose not to run and that you will not get elected on write in votes. Maybe it would send them a warning message that they better start treating you with the respect you have earned. You never know what will happen next year!

manxkats said...

Loved the Crazy Special Ed Parents analogy. I never had the magical years when I thought I had the perfect child with zero disorders, I have the perfect child (for me) with quite a few disorders it just took a long time to get a diagnosis. More often than not, the school district thought I was a crazy parent. I am lucky since I am like my son and really don't care what someone else thinks of me. I know if anyone who has told me I was wrong for advocating for my child would happen to end up in my shoes they would do whatever it took to ensure their child received an education as the law provides. If that makes me crazy at least CH already has a padded room for me, oh wait different blog chapter! My vote goes for Nancy and Stu, I will also write in Kathi's name, she deserves it.

Anonymous said...

My children's teacher made me a crazy special ed parent. Then when it got too hot they declassified him because he was not autistic. This new administration will not have my support for any programs unless Nancy and Stu get elected.

Vote for 2 - Nancy and Stu!!

Lisa, Cherry Hill Crazy Mom (and taxpayer)

Anonymous said...

I agree with Lisa (crazy CH mom).

I too have dealt with a wrongful declassification of my child only to have to be raked over the coals with anxiety brought on mainly from the process(es) you have to deal with with these CST members with the parameters which are put in place by the upper Administration.

Time for a clean sweep of "more of the same" candidates and administration.